F. Lachicotte Zemp, Jr.
Lach (pronounced “Lash”) Zemp is an AV rated lawyer with 25 years experience trying cases and representing a variety of professional, outdoor-recreation, industry, and business interests in state and federal courts. Lach has developed expertise in crisis response and management as part of his representation of trucking companies, summer camps, zip-line companies, white water rafting companies, and a variety of other outdoor based industries. He has been invited to speak at the National Conference of the American Camp Association and has presented frequently to the North Carolina Youth Camp Association. Lach also represents land trust and similar organizations enforcing conservation easements.
Lach continues to actively litigate cases in a variety of areas, including professional and medical malpractice and licensure cases, commercial / business cases, and products liability cases. He also serves as regional counsel for national and international companies sued in North Carolina. Lach is an active member of the North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys (NCADA), currently serving as President Elect and previously serving as Treasurer, on its Board and chairing its Long Term Planning Committee.
- Summer Camps and Outdoor Recreational and Wilderness Businesses. This practice includes advising camps on their contracts and releases, a full range of employment issues, risk management, and defending camps in lawsuits, including significant injury and wrongful death suits.
- Commercial Trucking Companies. I defend tractor-trailer companies and their drivers following catastrophic collisions and events. This includes managing the presuit investigation and defending the clients up and through trial.
- Hospitals, Doctors, Nurses, and Therapists. I represent and defend health care providers who have been sued or who are facing licensing complaints.
- Businesses and Professionals. This practice focuses on representing business and professional clients who are involved in commercial disputes and litigation.
- Land and Property Owners whose property is being condemned by NCDOT or other Governmental Entities.
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys (NCADA), President 2019 – 2020; Board of Directors, 2012-present
- Admitted to practice before all state and federal courts of North Carolina and Alaska, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Alaska Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
Awards and Accolades
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- The Best Lawyers in America, Eminent Domain & Condemnation Law, 2012-2018; Transportation Law, 2013-2018
- “Managing a Catastrophic Loss, A Case Study: The Accidental and Tragic Death of a Staff Member,” National Meeting of the American Camp Association, February 2018
- “Crisis Management: Concrete Steps to Minimize the Risk of a Legal Claim,” Southeast Regional Meeting of the American Camp Association, September 2017
- “Camp Staff Employment: Concrete Steps to Minimize Employment Claims,” Southeast Regional Meeting of the American Camp Association, September 2016
- “An Ounce of Preparation Prevents a Ton of Litigation: Steps to Reduce Your Exposure to Legal Claims,” National Meeting of the American Camp Association, February 2016
- “The Ins and Outs of North Carolina Fault Allocation Law,” Great West Casualty Company, 2014
- “The Confidentiality of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Records,” Iredell Memorial Hospital, 2010
- “The Standards for Voluntary and Involuntary Commitment,” Iredell Memorial Hospital, 2010
- Obtained summary judgment defending summer camp in multi-million dollar wrongful death lawsuit.
- Successful appeal to NC Court of Appeals requiring City of Asheville to provide full hearing on review of subdivision plan.
- Obtained dismissals of two federal tort lawsuits based on immunity.
- Obtained a dismissal of Plaintiff’s products liability lawsuit on behalf of multi-national aircraft engine manufacturer.
- Represented multi-national product manufacturer (recreational vehicle) to successful resolution under North Carolina products liability statute.
- Successful appeal to NC Court of Appeals, overturning trial court’s denial of Motion to Dismiss of a wrongful death complaint based on Woodson claim.
- Successful appeal to NC Court of Appeals, overturning jury’s verdict in a breach of contract case in an amount in excess of $565,000.
- Achieved jury verdict enforcing terms of a land conservation easement and awarding damages in an action for trespass, protecting a 500+ acre tract abutting Shining Rock Wilderness in Western North Carolina.
- Successfully defended a physician under investigation by the N.C. Medical Board with no adverse action taken against physician.
- Initiated and managed complex federal court interpleader action in mass casualty commercial trucking defense case.