Charles E. McGee
Charles E. McGee is a partner with the firm, concentrating his legal practice in insurance defense, medical malpractice defense, and workers’ compensation defense, and he represents insurance carriers, health care providers, and employers in matters before the courts and the North Carolina Industrial Commission. He also serves as a Superior Court Certified Mediator, represents self-insured employers and insurance carriers in subrogation claims, and counsels employers regarding compliance issues and insurance needs.
Charles recognizes the burdens litigation places on businesses, as well as the impact of medical and lost time payments, administrative and litigation expenses, and losses in productivity and morale — and he enjoys working closely with clients to support their complex and multi-layered interests while simultaneously controlling their costs and mitigating their risks.
A native North Carolinian, Charles has worked his way west across the state: He was born in Wilmington, grew up in Sanford, then moved to Chapel Hill for his undergraduate studies and law school. After serving as a law clerk at both the North Carolina Court of Appeals and the Supreme Court of North Carolina, Charles completed his move west in 2006 by relocating to Asheville, where he and his wife are raising a daughter and a son.
- Represents small and large employers before the North Carolina Industrial Commission
- Represents insurers and self-insureds in subrogation claims
- Represents health care providers in medical malpractice claims
- Appellate advocacy and representation
- Certified Superior Court Mediator
- North Carolina State Bar
- North Carolina Bar Association
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys: Board of Directors, 2022-2025; Chair of Workers’ Compensation Section, 2021-2022; Vice Chair of Workers’ Compensation Section, 2020-2021
- North Carolina Bar Association: Workers’ Compensation Section, Council Member 2018-2020
- American Bar Association
- Buncombe County Bar
Awards and Accolades
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rating in legal ability and ethical standards